Two Factor Authentication: Extra Security for your Health Records
Posted On June 21, 2012
Two-factor login provides a simple way for drchrono medical professionals to extend security beyond the standard username/password combo in a typical EMR.
Using the Authy app, healthcare professionals add an additional layer of security by generating a easy one-time code that must be entered before allowing login into drchrono.
Two-factor authentication refers solely to two independent methods of authentication: things you know (username/password), things you have (iPhones, iPads, other smart phones).
We’ve recently partnered with Authy to add an additional security feature to drchrono. This security feature will give you additional peace of mind that your account can only be logged into by you, and that all of your records have extra protection. When this feature is enabled, you’ll be prompted to log in with a security code, along with your username and password. The security code will be generated on your smartphone, and changes every 20 seconds. Along with additional security now, this is the first step in being able to e-prescribe narcotics and controlled substances.
How to set up your account with Authy:
- Contact support@drchrono, and let us know that you want to opt in to Two Factor Authentication. We’ll immediately enable this feature, and you’ll receive a confirmation via email that Authy is now protecting your drchrono account and a text message containing setup information.
- Within the text message, you’ll be prompted to install the free Authy App on your iPhone, iPod Touch, Blackberry, or Android phone.
- After you install Authy, you will receive a text containing a reset PIN in case you lose your phone.
- The next time you log into your drchrono account, you’ll be prompted to enter your token (security code.)
- Open your Authy app, and type the code that appears on the screen.
You’re successfully using Two Factor Authentication for extra security!
As always, please let us know if you have any questions!